I built a bat house yesterday. We have a lot of bats around, including one that likes to roost inside the ceiling of the sun room. I looked up a couple of plans online, but then I just kind of winged it. I just made sure it was the proper depth. I used some rough oak boards we had taken out of the second story of the house, so I didn’t have to do anything to make the interior surface grippy.
Then I caulked it and painted it for waterproofing. Painting it a dark color is best in northern climates to absorb heat from the sun. The bats like it nice and hot. I spiffed it up by making a stencil of a flying bat.
I’m so handy. This week’s goal is to build my bee hive. If all goes according to plan I’ll be getting honey bees in the mail in about a month. Exciting!